Merry Christmas

Accept an awfully drawn and a rather failed attempt to capture Christmas. (Done on Pixlr)

As I begin typing this post, it is half-past Christmas on my side of the world. Normally, I don't like to do personal posts because I like my blog to be purposeful which means not talking about myself. However, because it is Christmas and I haven't thought of a suitable Christmas gift for my readers, I thought I'd say a few words on my favourite Christmas carols and songs.

The First Noel

The first Nowell the angels did say
Was to certain poor shepherds in fields as they lay;
In fields where they lay, keeping their sheep,
On a cold winter's night that was so deep:
Nowell, Nowell, Nowell, Nowell,
Born is the King of Israel.

This is my all-time favourite Christmas carol and I sing it the year round, especially in my shower when I'm practising what I call my "choir" voice. There is something so utterly beautiful and reverent about this song and it makes me feel all nice and warm inside. (Side not: I'm not a Christian or a Catholic. I don't believe in religion) I cannot exactly explain why I love this carol so much.

Silent Night

Silent night, Holy night
All is calm, all is bright
Round yon virgin, mother and child
Holy infant, tender and mild
Sleep in heavenly peace,
Sleep in heavenly peace.

After The First Noel, Silent Night is my other favourite Christmas carol. I still remember when I was seven and I was performing in a school play about Christmas. This was the first carol to ever resonate with me. And it's one of my "choir" voice songs. When I was younger, I never understood the lyrics and it was the melody that stuck with me. The lyrics meant nothing. And now that I'm older and I know the story of Christmas, the lyrics do carry more meaning but not for me.

We Three Kings of Orient Are

We three kings of Orient are;
Bearing gifts we traverse afar,
Field and fountain, moor and mountain,
Following yonder star.

O star of wonder, star of night,
Star with royal beauty bright,
Westward leading, still proceeding,
Guide us to thy perfect light.

It's a bit odd that this is one of my favourite carols, no? But it is anyway. It's also one of the songs performed in the aforementioned play and it has stuck with me since. It's actually the first place I learnt of Christmas' story and for some reason, there is a very, very, very vibrant image of the three kings in my mind whenever I sing this song.

They aren't carols but here are two of my favourite Christmas songs.

Jingle Bell Rock (I've no idea if it's a carol or not but it seems to modern to be)

Jingle bell, jingle bell, jingle bell rock,
Jingle bells chime in jingle bell time
Snowing and blowing in bushels of fun
Now the jingle hop has just begun

Jingle bell,
jingle bell,
jingle bell rock,
Jingle bells chime in jingle bell time
Dancing and prancing in Jingle Bell Square
In the frosty air

I never knew the existence of Jingle Bell Rock until I watched Mean Girls. And now, whenever I hear Jingle Bell Rock, I think of Lindsay Lohan and Rachel McAdams in those tight outfits dancing and then, smacking their thighs. Not a pretty picture in my mind but yes, that's what it is.

Feliz Navidad

Feliz Navidad
Feliz Navidad
Feliz Navidad
Prospero año y Felicidad.

I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas
I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas
I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas
From the bottom of my heart.

Feliz Navidad has the catchiest tune and rhythm to it and I just love it. It makes me shake my hips and shimmy my feet whenever I hear it come on. I don't understand a word he sings except for "I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas" and "from the bottom of my heart".

Merry Christmas, my darling readers. May you be blessed and happy always.

This entry was posted on Thursday 25 December 2014 and is filed under ,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply